During a recent address to the National Press Club in Canberra, Industry Minister Karen Andrews suggested that “businesses should buy Australian-made products based on quality”.
Ms Andrews believes the sector is shifting away from the "fast, disposable" retail approach towards quality over quantity.
She went on to say that businesses have experienced some difficulties with supply during the Covid-19 crisis because they could not get the materials that they needed. [Source: 9 News May 20, 2020].
The benefits to Australia - more than just jobs.
When you purchase Australian Made products, you not only support jobs, but help economic development in Australia. These benefits flow on and deliver positive outcomes to Australian families and local communities.
Every $1,000,000 of manufacturing business in Australia generates:
- $333,900 worth of tax revenue
- $985,000 worth of value-added
- $95,000 worth of welfare benefits saved
- 10 full-time jobs * Stats from Australian Made.
The differences between purchasing Australian made products and imported products aren’t always obvious at first. However, the decision to buy Australian made will often pay off in more ways than one.
There seems to be a large "Buy Australian" push, with many Facebook groups dedicated to Australian made products appearing - and gaining traction.
Talkback radio is full of callers asking if imported products are clean of Covid-19.
Many retailers are out of stock because their imported items have not arrived, and there is no ETA on their safe delivery - leaving their retail display empty.
More benefits to consider
Recent Covid-19 has shone a bright light on Australian made products and highlighted new restrictions on imported products in many ways no one expected.
Here are a few benefits of buying Australian made shelving, seating and tables:
- Regular Supply - One thing Covid-19 showed us is supply of locally manufactured products are more reliable now, and into the future. With many ports and borders closed, supply of overseas products look set to be interrupted for the foreseeable future.
- Quality - Australian manufacturing is regulated to ensure the highest quality standards - these products are made to last.
- Support Local Jobs - Nobody likes to see jobs shipped overseas. By sticking with Australian-made products - you're keeping jobs right here in Australia.
- Have an Easier Time with Warranties - Although many foreign-made products come with warranties, cashing in those warranties is a lot easier said than done.
- Environmentally Friendlier - Buying Australian made also means far fewer carbon miles and greenhouse gas emissions created in transporting your goods.
Raeco is 100% Aussie owned. We now manufacture 100% of our metal and wooden shelving, tables, soft seating and vast majority of our task seating right here, in Australia.
This means, we have reliable stock supply now and in the future.